COLUMBUS, OHIO MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Auto accidents occur every day on streets and highways across the nation. While many of these involve minor collisions, some result in life-altering injuries or even death. If your loved one has been involved in an auto accident, Attorney Thompson in Columbus, Ohio can help. An experienced motor vehicle accident attorney, H. Lee Thompson has the resources to help you obtain a fair settlement. However, it is important that you take action and speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible so that you meet all deadlines for filing your claim.
At The Thompson Law Firm, we represent the families of those killed in motor vehicle accidents, as well as individuals suffering from severe injuries, including internal injury, brain injury, and whiplash. Contact Attorney Thompson for a free consultation at his Columbus, Ohio office. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, Attorney Thompson and our legal staff will conduct a thorough evaluation of your claim to find out if you have a potential case.
If you do have a case, you may be able to obtain compensation for medical expenses, property damage, pain and suffering, loss of wages, permanent disability, and other expenses as they may apply. Columbus, Ohio car accident attorney H. Lee Thompson will strive to achieve the best possible results for your case.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR RIGHTS
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to be aware of your rights. Review the following tips from our car accident attorney. Following these guidelines provides the best chance of building a strong case.
1. Keep record of all documents and information related to the motor vehicle accident - This can include getting a copy of the police report, obtaining the contact information of any witnesses, taking photos of the scene, vehicles involved in the crash, and injuries. It is also important to keep copies of any bills associated with the car accident.
2. You don't have to say or sign anything - You have a right to consult with a motor vehicle accident attorney before you give an interview or record a statement. It is important to know that anything you say can be held against you. If you are at fault or were charged with a traffic or criminal offense as a result of the motor vehicle accident, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. A motor vehicle accident attorney can advise you of the proper steps to take following a motor vehicle accident, and can help you deal with your insurance company. If you have insurance, you typically are required to cooperate with the insurance company and provide a statement.
3. The insurance companies may not have your best interests in mind - Your insurance company and the other person's insurance company interests may not coincide with your own. An experienced motor vehicle accident attorney will know how to best deal with the insurance companies to ensure you obtain just compensation.
4. There are time limits within which you must file an insurance claim - Ask your insurance company what time limits apply to your claim or contact our Columbus, Ohio motor vehicle accident attorney for legal guidance.
5. Get all offers in writing - You should request that settlements or any other offers be put in writing so you have record of them. The document should include an explanation of the types of damages for which you are entitled.
6. Legal assistance may benefit your case - You have a right to speak with an attorney for advice before you speak with authorities or sign any documents. Be aware that if you sign a release, you may give up your right to file a legal claim and have to pay all costs associated with the motor vehicle accident yourself. A motor vehicle accident attorney will also be more experienced in dealing with insurance companies and can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
7. Finding a qualified attorney- If you are seeking the guidance of an experienced attorney, ask your friends, neighbors, relatives, or coworkers if they know of a good attorney. If you live in the Columbus, Ohio area, car accident attorney H. Lee Thompson can review your case and advise you of your options.
8. Check your lawyer's credentials- Do a background check of your attorney's education, training, experience, and record in litigating car accident cases.
9. Attorney fees - Before you hire an attorney, be sure to discuss the lawyer's fees and what the costs include. Your agreement should include:
a. How and when attorney fees will be paid
b. How costs associated with the case (i.e. expert witnesses) will be paid
c. Who will handle the case, and if the case goes to court, who the trial attorney will be
The information provided above does not constitute an exhaustive list of your legal rights. It is a preliminary checklist of issues you should take into account when preparing for your case.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may need an experienced attorney on your side to help you obtain compensation. Oftentimes motor vehicle accidents cause serious and sometimes permanent injuries, including brain injuries, which require extensive medical care. In such cases, a brain injury attorney is often needed to handle the complex litigation involved with recovering damages to pay medical expenses. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury as a result of a car accident in Ohio, contact our Columbus office for a free consultation. Motor vehicle accident attorney H. Lee Thompson has over 30 years of experience as a motor vehicle accident attorney and can effectively litigate your case.